At 6/2/2007 03:06 AM, Designer wrote:
Sparked partly by the recent discussions on elasticity, I've been attempting to put together a 'template', based on em's and with a max-width. I've used an expression for max-width in IE <7 (pinched from Georg!). I've tested it in FF1.5, IE6 IE7, Opera 9, and Netscape 4.02. To accommodate the latter I've used a simple table instead of floating, but ignore this please - my main concern at this point is that the basics work without falling apart in other browsers.

If you have time to do a check and comment I'd be really grateful. The links are dummies, apart from 'projects'. You can see it at:

http://www.marscovista.fsnet.co.uk/newtemplate/template.html

Nice work!

In FF2 I can narrow the window to about 348 pixels before I get a horizontal scrollbar.

IE7 doesn't support text enlargement very well. I'm getting a horizontal scrollbar as soon as I start enlarging the text, even when the apparent content width doesn't require it. I've been wrestling with that in my own layouts; I'm sure the solution is close at hand.

Did you experiment with floating the menu so that it flips underneath the content (or vice versa) when horizontal space is constrained beyond a certain point? I imagine that will be necessary to support people who want three or more columns.

You chose a background image for the header that nicely repeats horizontally as the page expands. To be more versatile I think it ought to repeat vertically as well to support high enlargement in modest window widths. Real world logos are most often single fixed image rather than a repeating pattern, but in many cases it's easy enough to fade them to monochrome to the right and below or blend them to a lower-level background image that does repeat (such as a gradient).

If you size the cartoon in ems as well, I think you might be pleasantly surprised at how well it survives. Tedd Sperling has been doing a lot of that lately (<http://sperling.com/examples/zoom/>) and it seems to work pretty well -- as long as the crispness of the images isn't crucial to the communication, as it might be for a photographer's or artist's website.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.