Speaks volumes for the longevity of Macs, if you ask me. It's equivalent to saying, 'I can only run IE 4.x because I only have a 386 (486? What do I know?) processor and Win 95.' Or whatever.

win95 on a 386 - forget it!  you are probably talking about win3.1 :-)

I had a 386 in the early 90s.... my first web pages were created using qEdit (dos text editor) and to see them I had to upload them to the server and use lynx to view them - with 2MB RAM I could not use Mosaic or Netscape1.1 and Arachne (home.arachne.cz) did not exist yet , which is why I didn't use images on anything until I got a pentium in about 1995 - lynx was for me the browser of choice for about 2 years!

How many 386/486 machines do you still see out there?

probably not many in this part of the world ... but elsewhere who knows?
You still see heaps of Russian fidonet discussions gated to usenet... so who knows what people might still be using in that part of the world!

regarding the friend using OS9... I think there may be other reasons he won't upgrade - such as other software he uses.