Hi,

I just watched a presentation from Robert O'Callahan last night and I
think some of you would enjoy it. He goes over some of the new stuff
that's coming out in Firefox and how Firefox plans to develop the web
and web standards. It includes demos of their new typography support
(ligatures and kerning), built-in video, canvas, offline, APNG, and
other stuff.

One of the really cool this is that Opera already supports a lot of this
stuff too and I think Safari is working on it. So we should have > 20%
market penetration of this stuff pretty soon. A lot of it degrades
pretty well too.

The video's at
http://www.meetup.co.nz/2007/06/21/video-june-meetup-robert-ocallahan-from-mozilla-on-firefox-3/
 there's also a short writeup on it on the New Zealand Herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10446902

I've become a bit cynical with the W3C and their recent slowness to come
out with workable specs (XHTML 2 anyone?). There has only been a very
small advance in web technology in the last few years I've been in the
industry. The WHATWG seems to be taking up the torch well. I hope the
W3C can get in on it though.

Alan Trick