Ross Bruniges schreef:
the whole point is that there shouldn't be a javaScript-free menu that provides
this functionality!! CSS is merely a format for styling documents and should
not be used for functionality like that!
I've heard this a lot, but if changing color on hovering a link is styling (which I think it is) than I guess a dropdown menu can be seen as styling as well. I'm not saying dropdowns should be done by CSS, but I don't see why it should definitely not be done that way. In the end you'll need CSS anyway, if only for the absolute positioning. Same goes for JavaScript if you want your menu to drop down in IE6. In my opinion the balance between these 2 additional layers just depends both on your personal preferences and (most of all) on what you expect from the final result.

If you make shure that, by making the main buttons clickable as well, the dropdown menus only provide extra shortcuts and not the only way of navigating through the site everyone should be able to access your site. Providing an option to turn off the dropdowns is of course a nice extra (if passed on from one page to another).

cheers,
Sander