> In this case I don't care about semantics as much as not
> having to do funky backend parsing and fighting css bugs
> because of the naming conventions in my controls..
> Thankfully this will never see production and just
> reminds me of the hackish days from the past..

Those hackish days, I remember them well.

To be honest I can't see another way round this. You've got a choice between
horribly complicated (but technically semantic) HTML, complex JavaScript
that could scupper some of your users, or a kludge of backend code.

I like doing the backend stuff (stop sniggering, children) so that's the
choice I make. But it could be a whole lot easier. Anyway, good luck.

Chris