On 28/06/2007, at 7:34 PM, Frank Palinkas wrote:

Thanks David, much appreciate your feedback. That's exactly what I thought,
but I'm not inclined to assume anything.

As you mention, I'm experimenting with moving the "skip to content" link off screen with a margin-left of -9999em, leaving its markup intact just above
the floated global nav div.

Kind regards,

Frank

This is the preferred method. Using display none may actually hide content from screen readers.

Usually, I set an absolute position in conjunction with a negative em margin. This will hide the element from modern, graphical browsers. If you place the accessibility links at the top of your markup, it will be one of the first elements that disabled users will view.

Cheers,
Tate

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Little
Sent: Thursday, 28 June, 2007 11:06 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Skip to Content?

Hi,

I'd still include the link (as the first link on the page) as I
imagine you're still going to have other browser content before you
get to your page's main content (headers, logos etc.) -- unless you
want users of screenreaders to have to sit through that for every
page.

I'd say anything that adds to the usability of a site for any group is
worth including. Also, it's very easy to hide these links from other
"standard" browsers if you so wish, so it's not really much of an
overhead to include them.

Hope this helps,
David