Hi all!

I have been wondering about the (absent) standard for documenting JavaScript: JSDoc.

In PHP one can expect any seasoned developer to use PHPDocumentor (or something similar, like Doxygen). In JAVA one would expect Javadoc to be used by most.

However, except for Foundations of Ajax (ISBN 1-59059-582-3) I see *no* other book on the market using or promoting the use of JSDoc. And as far as I know YUI is the only major library to use it.

"Gurus" like David Flanagan, John Resig, Christian Heilmann, Dean Edwards and PPK are all silent on this matter, and do not use JSDoc in any code I've seen them write. Admittedly they write a lot, but JSDoc are absent from their books and blogposts, at least.

1. Is JSDoc not a good idea? If so, why not?

2. If it is, why has it not caught on?

Coming to JS from a back-end developer perspective I find this very strange.

Lars Gunther

P.S.