Hello Cole,

> I'm a little confused: are TITLE attributes required
> for <a href> navigation elements? Won't screen
> readers "verbalize" the contents of the wording
> between <a href> tags?

They will read the linked text and a screen reader user will normally turn
off title expansion (I think it's off by default). So, text rules.

The title attribute is a very weak conveyence of information. If it's
important it should be as text. Personally, I use the title attribute mostly
to expand information on external links, but this is only readily available
to mouse (pointer) users so I try to add some clarity within the context.

Here's an example of how I might use it (extracted from an actual usage at
http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=214):

    "[...] I decided to ask my Swedish friend <a
href="http://www.autisticcuckoo.net/"; title="Autistic Cuckoo">Tommy
Olsson</a> on board to co-author the project."

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Mike Cherim