One of the first requirements of accessibility is use a doctype with valid
code.  Their site is full of coding errors and I can't believe that it has
been created by any web designer (possibly a graphic designer? ;-).

As you suggest, it could well be that they are using "some kind of monster
CMS which their current staff are unable to make changes to".

That said, they should be prosecuted just for their response alone (to the
requests to amend their site),i.e.

"Target is committed to serving all of our guests and we believe that our
Web site is fully accessible and complies with all applicable laws,"

Stuart
--
Stuart Foulstone.
http://www.bigeasyweb.co.uk