Rather than open a pdf in a browser window albeit the same window or a
popup, I prefer that a pdf is either saved to the filesystem or opened
by a program external to the browser like Acrobat reader. This behaviour
depends on what headers the webserver responds with.

In php you can serve a file with:

header("Content-type: application/pdf");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment");
readfile('test.pdf');

this will usually cause the browser to ask whether to save to disk or
select a program to open the file with.

If you use the following it will load the pdf viewer into the browser
window:

header("Content-type: application/pdf");
header("Content-Disposition: inline");
readfile('test.pdf');

So I'd recommend a link with a pdf icon and the file size and then set
the headers as in the first example

Chris Knowles