On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 07:18:32 pm James Jeffery wrote:
> Good Morning!
>
> Here is my problem. Im at college this year, preparing for University
> (Hopefully Birmingham) to
> study Software Engineering. At college we have a class on a Thursday called
> "Web Development"
> and the guy thats teaching the class in an absolute joke, no seriously, he
> is.
>
> He is teaching students how to create web pages using Dreamweaver in
> "Design" view, and then
> telling students if they can do this, they are Web Designers.
>
> I was angry, i instantly replied and questioned his knowledge on HTML and
> asked the age old question:
> "What are tables in HTML used for?", he replied "To lay out web pages and
> for tabled data", i replied with
> "wrong", he laughed and told me he knows what he is talking about.
>
> I seriously want to raise a huge issue at the college, but im not sure how
> to do it. This guy is on 22k+
> a year, and cannot even teach people correctly, he may have been a pro back
> in the days when tables
> were acceptable to lay out web pages, but  in todays world he is a fool.
>
> Its half term now, we have an assignment to complete using Dreamweaver, and
> he said i have to use
> tables, its not a problem, i will do as the assignment requests. I will
> walk the extra mile and create the
> same page without tables, with semantics, with accessibility in mind and
> without the bloated mark-up,
> and then write a essay comparing the both.
>
> What power do i have (if any) to try and get the college to understand they
> cannot use a cowboy to
> teach tomorrows computer experts. Should i use my essay and examples and
> take it to the head of
> the college? I really don't know how to go about this, but its definatly a
> problem.
>
> I really am angry and annoyed, you pay money to be taught the correct
> methods. People who don't
> understand are fine, they will believe him, and thats the shocking part
> about it all.
>
> I await some advice.

Hi,

It may not be the tutor's or colege's "fault". Curriculum is written at a
higher level and then "pushed" down to educators. This process
involves "industry experts" and takes a number of years. Often this
curriculum is tied to government funding and as such can't be changed. The
subject may actually be "design a web site using industry standard web design
software" which currently the "industry standard" is Dreamweaver.

However, some educators take the easy way out and only teach what they know.
The subject could simply be "create a web site" and they only know
Dreamweaver based templates or "starter pages". They haven't been taught any
other way.

I have seen this first hand, I have taught web design and other IT courses for
eight years, always meeting learning outcomes, and often pointing out
that "industry attitudes" have changed. Creating sites the "old way" and
the "new way" is useful for students who may have to manage old sites that
can't be upgraded "overnight" for many reasons. Recognising the weaknesses
and strengths with CSS layout and tabular layout makes students better
designers, and hopefully a better Internet for all.

Telling a teacher they are "wrong" in front of many students often offends
them, especially when they don't keep up to date with current trends.
However, most teachers who adapt and learn the new technologies do so in
their own time, unpaid and often unrecognised.

Do your site both ways and demonstrate the advantages of CSS layout using
accessibility tools and ratings. And just think how far in front of the other
students when applying for jobs saying that you can support old and new
sites.

--
Regards,

Steve