Chris Wilson wrote:

> Contrary to everything else put forth about the 'issue', this actually
> works...

that statement isn't correct because this also works:

#sidebar .one-image a:hover   {
   border: 1px solid #000  !important;
}

> The other attempts here try to fix a problem with an extra rule, when if
> done correctly you don't need it.

I don't think there is a correct way,  there are just different ways, as
all solutions have their implications - e.g. your solution assumes only
links in lists require this style which is not necessarily the case - so
if other links are added outside of a list an extra rule may be required
for them

the solution I have given above may add an extra rule but it solves the
problem without tampering with the existing css - so it's not
necessarily clear which solution is better

--
Chris Knowles