On Oct 24, 2007, at 10:37 PM, Tee G. Peng wrote:

Under 17.6.1 it says (specifically for label in option):
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#adef-label-OPTION>
label = text [CS]
This attribute allows authors to specify a shorter label for an option than the content of the OPTION element. When specified, user agents should use the value of this attribute rather than the content of the OPTION element as the option label.

That sounds, to me, as validating what Safari, IE Mac, IE Win Camino are doing.
Note that Firefox is not wrong by the description given above.

I am sorry I only understand this thing half.

Can 'value' be removed? Everytime I work on a web form, the same qeustion kept throwing back to me. Is there any attribute one can saftly remove without causing browsers, screen reader and form script suffer?

label and ID are needed, Name also needed for the form script I use; this leaves the 'value' which I never able to decide the *value* of its usage.

I really find a markup like this is too much
<label for="myform">My form </label>
<input name="myform" id="myform" value="myform">

I think you are confused :-)

element:
<label for="myform">My form </label>
<input name="myform" id="myform" value="myform">

attribute

The 'value' attribute on option (and other form controls) is required for back-end processing (so that your script knows what to do with all the stuff the form feeds it). The 'label' attribute is always optional and _can_ be used by the UA for display purposes. 'name' is also required to identify the form control.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com>