JonMarc,

It sounds to me like he's referring more to a tree layout than a drop- down menu.

If that's the case, it's exactly what I'm researching at the current time, so I have a few good links you might like to visit (all use JavaScript; CSS can't handle 'clicks' natively with any sort of control):

This is quite an old example, but it's worked well for me in the past. Completely unobtrusive, but requires an initiation call to a specific ID:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/navigate1.htm

This one is quite nice, but needs some CSS work:
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/stuff/javascript/list-treeview-menu/

This one is great and very small (looks like it'll be the one I'll be using soon):
http://www.silverstripe.com/tree-control/

If you're already using jQuery, this one looks like a good idea (but obviously requires the jQuery library):
http://jquery.bassistance.de/treeview/

YUI includes its own but it is by no means SEO compatible. This one is an attempt to modify it so it doesn't affect SEO:
http://blog.davglass.com/files/yui/treetest/

Hope that helps.

If anyone has any other good ones (particularly any that benefit from prototype.js already being used), I'm very interested to hear!

Cheers,

Kit Grose