Hi James,

I'd always create a site and content so that it initially works and
all the content can be reached using just HTML. It certainly won't
look all that pretty but by making sure that everything works fine
before you add CSS or JavaScript then you're ensuring that the site
will be usable and accessible for any user agents that don't support
them.

Once this is in place, add CSS to spice up the presentation and then
feel free to add any JavaScript to make the functionality and
behaviour easier or to add a few dazzles but this shouldn't effect the
core functionality of the site.

The following article is a really good read and explains the ideas behind this

http://accessites.org/site/2007/02/graceful-degradation-progressive-enhancement/

I suspect that you're thinking of using JavaScript to actually display
content so you need to ask yourself, how will users on mobile devices
of using a text browser read this content?

Hope that helps.

Dave

http://www.dave-woods.co.uk