On Nov 4, 2007, at 5:27 AM, James Jeffery wrote:

Hi all

I have a select box that has a greater width and hight then the
standard size. I am trying to center the default option that displays
in the select box. I have tried padding: xem 0; and it centers the
options when the list is displayed, but the default option does not
change.

Basically i want to center (vertically) the default option in a select box.

Anyone got any ideas i have tried for a while and can't get it to work.

When I run into this problem, I declare width for 'select'.

select {width: 250px}

If I want to style the option values in Firefox, I add a class like so

.option {border-bottom : 1px solid #efefefe; padding: 3px
;width: 250px}

If a class is added, I don't declare width in 'select'.

IMHO, this looks so much better than making text center just for the Gecko based browsers. I do care the aesthetic inspiration, but using JS to overwrite browser default for option attribute isn't something I aspire :)

'width' works for all browsers I have tested : Safari, IE, Opera, Firefox and Camino 'text-align' only work in Opera and Firefox. In Camino, only the first option value works.

tee