From: "Breton Slivka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Of course if you don't feel like reading it, then don't. You have the
reccomendations here for the books that have good information (Unless
nobody has yet reccomended David Flanagan's "Javascript: The
Definative Guide"). When you're ready for good information, that is,
you have a specific problem that calls for a correct solution, then go
for those books. Otherwise, read whatever gets you into action, and
actually working in the language the quickest.

I recommend Flanagan's book highly. I also caution the original questioner to be wary of buzzwords like Dom Scripting and Web 2.0. And to a previous poster, there are times when even the most accomplished scripter might need to use document.write or an inline handler. Be wary of absolutes and, when convenient, check the actual work of some of these authors and you might be surprised - or not :-)

For some javascript video entertainment: Douglas Crockford (Yahoo! javascript blokie) has some videos on his site...

Video: JavaScript
Video: The Theory of the Dom
Video: Advanced JavaScript
Video: Browser Wars
Video: Quality
Video: JavaScript: The Good Parts
Video: The State of Ajax

http://javascript.crockford.com/

...in the first one (IIRC) he recommends that O'Reilly book as the only one worth considering. However I'm not sure how old that video is compared to some of the books mentioned in this thread.

Nick