Chris Taylor wrote:
From: Joe Ortenzi
Sent: 21 December 2007 07:32

Why not simply make people register for it? Then you
have their details and if you make the registration
process intelligent, they will be aware they are being
tracked and more likely to behave. All sorts of benefits
and if the discussion forum is inside there as well then
you can even claim some web 2.0-ness as an added benefit
of registration!

This to me seems like a good option, and by registering someone you could then give them
a "doctored" version of the data including unique information to tie that
particular view of the data with their session. That unique ID could be in a table cell,
in the title of the page, as a footer etc. If you found a copy of that data with the
unique session ID anywhere you could trace it back to a date, time, IP address and
registered user.

Of course the problem there is that anyone with a bit of HTML skill could
remove the unique ID from the page. Still, it may help to deter casual copiers.

Chris

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com

Nick Roper
partner
logical elements
innovative web and internet solutions
zend/php & mysql approved partner
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: +44 1749 676798
   www: www.logical.co.uk
skype: nick.roper / +44 20 7870 9587

logical elements, 34 Chamberlain Street, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2PJ