Keryx Web skrev:
Quick question.

I have not got IE 8 beta 1 myself... Does it understand "grey", spelled with an e - as it should be ;-)

I have researched this myself now and will set all confusion to rest!

"Grey" is a valid CSS color name defined in CSS 3, not CSS 2.1.

As has been stated previously its equivalent RGB-value is strictly defined by the W3C, and color keywords are not deprecated. For pedagogic reasons I use them a lot, and also when wireframing.

MSIE <= 7 does only recognize "gray". MSIE 8 beta recognizes "grey" used as a value for CSS color, border, outline and background. It also recognizes the value set - as you should not! - with the bgcolor attribute. It does all of this regardless of its in quirks mode, IE 7 sub-standards mode or "we are trying for the real deal" standards mode! (So much for UA-compatible meta switches!)

At least one webmaster will be surprised: http://www.bebt.com/ Today in IE it's a *green* box - which is an exceptionally buggy implementation!

All this I know thanks to "Philip" on the WHATWG IRC channel:
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20080317 (look at the discussion around 23:00)

Lars Gunther