IE8's default setting will be to render web pages in standards- compliant mode. You can opt out of standards compliance with a meta tag. It was originally announced as the reverse. They changed their mind once the mob headed toward the castle in Redmond with pitchforks.

Like most of us, If I could bill MS for all the time I've spent debugging/hacking web pages for IE, I'd be a rich man. But I've been using and testing the IE8 beta since it was released, and I'd hazard that if you're writing standards compliant (x)html and css, all should be well (more or less) with the final release. The efforts of the IE development team, while not always stellar in the past, genuinely seem to be going in the right direction. They're working with the Web Standards Project and other groups to ensure IE8 isn't the disaster that IE6 and 7 have been.

--
Jody Tate
Web Developer - UW Network Systems