Hi all

I can't agree that it's generational: a couple of years ago I was involve in
user testing for a site aimed at young people - 18 to 25 years old; daily
internet users.  A number weren't aware of the convention that a corporate
logo in the top left corner of the screen is almost always a home page link;
one who complained of the size of the text wasn't aware of the fact that she
could re-size it (of course it doesn't help that so many sites make this
more difficult than necessary).

For most tasks, most people look for a solution that one of my management
texts called 'satisficing': rather than keep looking for the best solution,
they stop when they get to one that is good enough.  When I was in IT
training, I would often lean over someone's shoulder and say 'why don't you
do it this way?' - some people would then change their practices but many
wouldn't - it was easier to keep doing whatever it was the way they were
used to.

The challenge for us as designers/builders is to build sites for the way
people really use the internet, not the way we wish they did!  At the same
time I'd like to think we take every opportunity to educate them - to let
them know that there are easier/better/more efficient ways of doing things.

Elizabeth Spiegel
Web editing
0409 986 158
GPO Box 729, Hobart TAS 7001