Sorry Darren - it was late an i was tired! Vertical/Horizontal, Left/Right...

I don't think there is a need to do anything too exciting, the
container of the list should just need a text-align:center.
Is this basically what you are after? I have made the div only 300px
wide so you get the wrapping effect which I think is what is causing
the grief.

div.container{text-align:center; width:300px}
div.container ol li{list-style-type:none; }

<ol>
       <li class="elem">
               <label for="dname">Display Name:</label>
               <input type="text" id="dname" class="tinput" />
       </li>
       <li class="desc">
lines or ## characters link to.</p>
       </li>
</ol>

The list items will be centered. If you have multiple columns you can
just place them next to each other.
Or am i still missing something?

--
Matt Fellows