Hi folks,

My organisation manages around 7000+ pages for 100s of departments,
using a CMS. Mine is the only department outside the CMS, just because
we can.

We have been persuaded (read: bullied) to redesign our header to
exactly match that of the parent organisation. I have no problem with
that per se, but theirs includes breadcrumbs, and we don't want 'em.

I'm wondering what the consensus is here on their usefulness. I've
always been under the impression that the purpose of breadcrumbs was
to indicate to the user where they had been. However, the ones we are
being urged to implement do no such thing; they simply display our
organisational structure. This means that on every one of our 200-odd
pages, the breadcrumbs will appear like so (we are the library):

Parent Org > Clinical Services > Library >  Current page

The only thing that's going to change is the current page. To me,
that's not a breadcrumb trail at all.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Is this a common usage? How does this
benefit the user at all?

I'm questioning it because of usability issues, which is how I tie it
in with web standards. If this is considered off-topic, I apologise,
and replies should come directly to me rather than the list.

thanks,
lib.