There is a way to produce portable network graphics (png's) so that they
render correctly across all browsers without the need to employ complicated
hacks and ie filter-based
solutions<http://www.w3.org/TR/PNG-DataRep.html#DR.Alpha-channel>or
heavy javascript files, such as the twin
helix<http://www.thewebsqueeze.com/forum/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twinhelix.com%2Fcss%2Fiepngfix%2F>approach
or the
supersleight<http://www.thewebsqueeze.com/forum/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2F24ways.org%2F2007%2Fsupersleight-transparent-png-in-ie6>
.

Most times when a png is exported it is done so as a png32, which provides
lossless compression and allows for more complex settings. All the goodies
we love when designing a site.

However, within Fireworks you can also export png's as a png8, which
provides a palette based colour model (like gif's) and which many believe
only offers a 1 bit transparency option. However, if we play with some of
the settings we are able to offer similar semi-transparency colors as a
png32.

So if you use the export wizard and set it to export as png8 with indexed
transparency, you will see the palette colours have been flattened and you
are offered one, single transparent colour.

However, if you change these settings to alpha transparency, you will notice
a few small "chunks" cut out of the some of the palette colours. These are
the new semi-transparent colours.

The only downside is that complicated fade effects on images are not seen on
IE5.5 & 6, but it still is a transparent image.

This works for IE5.5 and above (I haven't tested lower than that), FF,
Safari and Opera, so it's a winner all round.

Also, the generated image files are smaller, which will increase delivery
time, and , more importantly, there is no need to implement hacks,
javascript files or any other third party coding, making the total delivery
package smaller and therefore increasing the speed of your site.

Hope the above helps you all.

I am planning on writing an article on the web design forum I moderate (
www.webforumz.com) around this, once complete I shall let you know so you
can bookmark it for future reference.

Stew