I just read the article about Vodafone UK and their manipulation of the
user-agent header http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/vodafonerant/index.htm

I don't know if this is old news to you guys but Vodafone is passing mobile
internet connections through proxy software called Novarra. Novarra is
supposed to re-render the page as 'mobile friendly'. Because it is using the
proxy server your handheld CSS file is ignored and a poor version of the
site is delivered to the mobile user instead.

This also affects websites that have specific content or downloads based on
the user agent, say for example MP3's or images with different sizes that
are provided for multiple mobile devices due to their differences in
compatibility. These sites wont be able to detect the correct user agent as
they will be working with the proxy and not the mobile device.

Not only that but it also means that SSL connections are not secure through
it either!

Surely this is heavily against web standards?

Darren Lovelock
Munky Online Web Design
http://www.munkyonline.co.uk
T: +44 (0)20-8816-8893