From: "Steve Green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well here's a guy who has done a bit of usability testing. To quote from the
article:

"We know from user testing that users hate horizontal scrolling and always
comment negatively when they encounter it".

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20050711.html

Of course he could be entirely wrong but I don't know of any more credible
research than his.

I know a lot of folks respect him. I'm not a huge fan, though. Like everything, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

"How many people have set a window size that will make your page or my page
either fall outside the viewing area or squish to the point that other
usability issues come to bear"

Quite a few actually, now that designers tend to design for a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 while there are still a significant number of people
still using lower resolutions.

A user's video settings do not equate with the size of his window. Taking the approach I see so often taken by some web designers, if I were truly going to design a page for people whose monitors were set to 1024 x 768, I would have to assume the actual browser window would not, as is often the case, be maximized. Now what do I do? ;-)

I don't intend to be argumentative and I really do wish I knew what the answer were. Since I don't, I have to conclude that there are probably many different answers. Sites like A List Apart or my own can probably get away with a wider fixed design because of our audience. If I were making a site for health information, it might wind up a lot more flexible.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com