On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Mordechai Peller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Hucklesby wrote:
>>
>> FWIW - The META content-type is only relevant to pages read from
>> a local file-- for example, when someone saves your page to disk.
>
> Not true. I recently had some non-local UTF-8 files where some special
> characters weren't displaying properly in IE6. When I added the missing meta
> tag, the problem was solved.

Mordechai, you're correct. The encoding declared in the META tag *can*
be relevant, although it is trumped by what (if anything) is specified
in the HTTP header. When loading pages directly from disk, obviously
there's no HTTP headers involved.

You might find this article interesting:
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/articles/EncodingDivination.html

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/