Thank you david,
a tip from that article has me sorted.

I put a div at the bottom of the rapper content like this:

.    clear{clear:both}

nice trick just kind of forces,

but I still dont understand why the outer wrapper would'nt scale automatically with three columns in an inner wrapper with no heights set anywhere /unless /the outerwrapper was floated left or right itself......

-best
kevin