Thanks everyone for your feedback, it definitely gives me something to think about.

Regards,
Schalk

Darren Lovelock wrote:
I'm not understanding why you would use a logo/img as an h1 tag? Unless you
wanted to use a nice anti-aliased font for the h1 text? If that's the case
then I would just use sifr.
SEO-wise you could only implement this on the homepage, otherwise you would
have a duplicated h1 on all your web pages (providing the image had the same
alt text). I wouldn't recommend using different alt text either when using
the same image sitewide, as search engines may see that as keyword stuffing.

I would keep them separate and have the alt text on the logo as your company
name. Then have unique h1's as normal text on each page.

I used to use a div with text in it for the logo, then css to add a
background image and text indent to move the text off-screen. I changed back
to an img tag as the alt text is more powerful for SEO purposes.
Darren Lovelock
Munky Online Web Design
http://www.munkyonline.co.uk
T: +44 (0)20-8816-8893