it's irrelevant according to HTML 4 how you write the tags, so on one front, your instructor is ok to say you should code that way (as it does conform) but you have every right to say that he's *incorrect* when saying you "need to so that you can conform to HTML 4.01". Tough spot to voice your opinion perhaps, but you're not wrong, and i would agree about your readability statement which might be a good point to make, since it can be written either way. Heck, it might be easier to use upper and lowercase:
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/structure.html#elements

Also, attributes *names* (ie. WIDTH) are case-insensitive but attribute values may be case-sensitive.

From: "James Jeffery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:38:39 +0100
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Subject: [WSG] Uppercase Tag Names

I am at university at the moment, and they said to use uppercase text for tag names and lowercase for attributes. I have to do it because otherwise I will lose a mark.

I disagreed (because it makes the source hard to read) but he said you need to so that you can conform to HTML 4.01.

I think this a case of someone reading far to deep into the specs. I didn't really want to argue with him because he assumes I know nothing. I do know that the source code has become difficult to read using that method.