On 12/1/09 07:12, mary-anne.nay...@medicareaustralia.gov.au wrote:
I am just wondering what is the general consensus on the use of Frames or
iFrames these days. WCAG2.0 is not terribly clear on whether we should or
shouldn't be using them.

WCAG 2.0 tries to express the principles of web accessibility in a technology independent manner. If you can use frames in consistency with those principles, that's compatible with conforming to WCAG 2.0.

Note that the Techniques document for WCAG 2.0 does include some HTML techniques relevant to frames:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H64.html

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H70.html

I understand there are usability issues as well as
problems with Search Engines.

The usability minefield with frames described at -

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

- hasn't disappeared.

The interoperability problem hasn't disappeared either. There are still browsers in use - some mobile browsers, Lynx - that can't handle frames.

More recently, security-conscious users are being advised to disable "iframe" support as one measure against clickjacking:

http://hackademix.net/2008/09/27/clickjacking-and-noscript

http://hackademix.net/2008/09/29/clickjacking-and-other-browsers-ie-safari-chrome-opera/

http://hackademix.net/2008/10/08/hello-clearclick-goodbye-clickjacking/

Likewise the problems with frames for search engines described at the article Nielsen cites:

http://www.ehsco.com/opinion/19980209.html

appear to still exist today:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34445

http://searchenginewatch.com/2167901

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/webcrawler/slurp-08.html?terms=frames (although contrast http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/webcrawler/slurp-09.html?terms=frames )

I have a client that seems determined to use them despite my best advice.

Use them how for what?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis