Given the increased number of threats and the availability of slick
script blocker extensions for Firefox like NoScript
(http://noscript.net/) it's only going to get more common, particularly
among security conscious people. I certainly use it, only enabling
Javascript for a site I'm visiting when I can see what benefit it has to
me.

Cheers,

Dave

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 07:33 +1100, Jessica Enders wrote:
> Hi Pascal
>
> In the JavaScript/Accessibility/form validation discussion you
> mention "the growing number of users who purposefully disable
> JavaScript". I'm always curious just how many people this is.
>
> Do you, or does anyone else, have any statistics on this? Is there a
> reason you describe it as a "growing number"?
>
> Any information greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jessica Enders
> Principal
> Formulate Information Design
> http://formulate.com.au
> Phone: (02) 6116 8765
> Fax: (02) 8456 5916
> PO Box 5108
> Braddon ACT 2612
>
> On 19/01/2009, at 11:14 PM, Simon Pascal Klein wrote:
>
> > If there were further communication between the user and server
> > between submission of the form that would entail a page reload then
> > a screen user shouldn’t have an issue, whereas if JavaScript would
> > run in the background and inject errors or suggestions as it thinks
> > the user makes them (e.g. password complexity recommendations,
> > username not available messages) numerous accessibility issues arise.
> >
> > The only solution that came to mind was having a generic message
> > (such as ‘please fill out all marked (*) fields’ or the like) that
> > could be hidden using CSS and through JavaScript ‘unhidden’ when an
> > error appears (though it could only be a generic error). As dandy
> > as these automatic feedback and error messages are through
> > JavaScript maybe a full submission and subsequent page reload is
> > best—after all it’s impossible to tell those users using an
> > accessibility aid like a screen reader from those who do not, and
> > hey, the growing number of users who purposefully disable
> > JavaScript won’t see the glitzy JavaScript injected errors anyway.
> >
> > Just my 0.2¢.

> >> Sadly, yes. But there is some hope: it is possible that ARIA will be
> >> accepted in HTML5 and there is an initiative to provide validation
> >> for
> >> (X)HTML+ARIA: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/
> >> 2008Sep/0381.html
> >>
> >> Validator.nu already has experimental support for HTML5+ARIA, and I
> >> believe (did not check) http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/ provides the
> >> same for document type "HTML5".
> >>
> >> There is also a possibility to add ARIA attributes with Javascript.
> >> All the options are controversial, but that's how it is for now :(
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Rimantas
> >> --
> >> http://rimantas.com/

> > ---
> > Simon Pascal Klein
> > Concept designer
> >
> > (w) http://klepas.org
> > (e) kle...@klepas.org

David Lane = Egressive Ltd = d...@egressive.com = m:+64 21 229 8147
p:+64 3 963 3733 = Linux: it just tastes better = nosoftwarepatents
http://egressive.com ==== we only use open standards: http://w3.org
Effusion Group Founding Member =========== http://effusiongroup.com