Brett Patterson wrote:

You should rethink the positioning method, and forget about deviations
between browsers until you have stabilized it in one.

I do not understand this either, unless you are talking about using margin as the positioning method. I have stabilized it one browser. This is why I am worried about the deviations in all the others.

Apply font resizing in any browser, and you'll get larger
"positioning-errors" for the menu in _that_ browser than you get between
browsers when leaving all at their font size defaults.

Same version of same browser (Firefox 3.0.5) with similar settings on
different OSes already position the menu with much more that 1px
deviation - more like 20px, so I had to check across my entire
browser/OS range to see where you really wanted that menu to stay on the
page. Sorry, but that doesn't look "stabilized" to me.

My point is that elements are not styled to work well together under
even the slightest amount of stress in any browser, which means it is
much too early to correct 1px deviations in any of them.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no