> The best way to deal with the situation is to clearly label the link as
> being PDF and let the user decide how they wish to proceed.

I think this is good advice. Anecdotally, I most often encounter a PDF
via a standard link and have therefore developed an expectation of
what will happen when I click a link to a PDF. I imagine (again, this
is anecdotal) that most other users have also developed a certain
expectation of how a PDF on the web will open. I wouldn't want to
throw them off buy forcing a certain behavior that clashes with their
default behavior.

Chris