James,

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Robert Turner <r...@flexadata.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jens,
>>
>> You need to branch the codebase. A typical SVN repository is setup as:
>>

> You appear to misunderstand the purposes of branches and tags.

I don't think so.

> Branches are designed in order that you can work on something without
> disturbing the integrity of the main tree, tags are meant to 'tag' a
> release, i.e. something that was considered worth releasing or going
> back to.

You're right. But if you open a new branch for each feature and commit
it back to trunk, you won't solve Jens' problem.

If you release a revision you should tag it.

If you release a main revision tag and branch it. Like that you're
able to fix bugs in this release (branch) and you may release another
revision from the branch without touching your main development tree
(trunk).

Your way will leave the repository in a mess:

You're at revision 100 in trunk. Than you notice that rev 50, which is
the last release you made had a bug, so you will check out the tag or
the trunk at revision 50. You solve the bug and than?

Do you commit it to "tag"?

If you commit the change to trunk you're messing up your
development-tree. In "tag" you would need another "tag", because "tag" is
an archive of your releases. So you couldn't commit the changes until
you're really going to release them.

That's why I prefer the branch for main releases...

regards

  Martin