Hi guys,
Just to clarify. Google reads the sourcecode. In the order the sourcecode is presented. Of course you can reposition with css. That doesn't change the order of the sourcecode. Google doesn't generally request the CSS file (check your logs) - unless other flags are indicated (e.g positioning text off page, display: none etc) so it had no idea of column display rendering.
Web Standards is Content= X/HTML; presentation = CSS;  behaviour etc
I've done the SEO on some of the biggest publisher/ ecommerce sites in Australia, over the past 8 years, and have never seen a Google issue with css repositioning in a 2 or 3 column layout. Check most newspaper etc sites.
Here's a really old example - my personal hobby site.
Google: Austin Healey 3000
and view the cache of the site http://www.myaustinhealey.com. Then look at the 'text only version' in the Google cache. It's a really old 3 column css layout from 2002. Centre column first in the source. I'd post the cache links, but I'm sending this from an iPhone, and I'm still waiting for 'cut and paste' functionality.... Sigh.
Chris
www.cogentis.com.au