From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of designer
Sent: 07 July 2009 12:20
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] font size - was [ Accessible websites]

I've been reading (and trying to learn from) the discussions on
accessibility and particularly font size. I have never had any success at
using ways other than pixels. When I read:

http://informationarchitects.jp/100e2r/?v=4

I agreed with the author that the text size looked OK (he uses Georgia), so
I tried knocking up a simple test/template and I found that Verdana 'looks'
much bigger than Georgia, and Arial slightly smaller than Georgia. I also
found that firefox was different to Safara, these two in turn being
different to IE and Opera.  IE7 looked huge and clumsy!  See for yourself:

http://www.betasite.fsnet.co.uk/gam/fontstyle.html

So, whilst the idea of text at 100% sounds reasonable, I always get a mixed
bag of results. I feel as a designer(suggester), that I cannot possibly
allow something I've done to look laughably clumsy in some browsers.
Contrary to the idea that users want to choose there own settings, my
experience is that very very few even know they can do it, let alone want to

be bothered!  Is there a way around this, which provides a more consistent
interface AND maintains user choice for those who want it?

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson                      <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>