I would be grateful if someone could tell me what is the current best
practice for letting users change the font-size (e.g., by clicking on
three 'a's of different sizes to make different css files be used) on
the web site.  Is it still a good idea, or do we go for the approach of
using the browser to do it?  Any and all helpful suggestions gratefully
appreciated.

Comes down to the 'give a man a fish/teach a man to fish' principle for
me. If you explain to the user how to use their browser settings to
change the text size then they can use that on any site.  If you use the
3 A's it only holds up for your site (and breaks if cookies/JavaScript
are turned off)

James