Hi Kat,

That really depends - without user research it's hard to know what
conclusions about the data are relevant and of interest to people consuming
that data; plus if the purpose is for people to draw their own conclusions
(hence why you're *providing *all that data) then it doesn't make sense to
bias it with pre-formed conclusions.

If you *have* to use tabulated data then that's a challenge, sure, but I
suggest going back over the business case for presenting the data and seeing
if there's some other way the *information* can be presented. Looks at
alternative presentation formats such as filtering - but as I said it
depends because datasets hidden behind a search/filter form can be
frustrating to users who may want to browse the matrix to figure out what
they want if they're unfamiliar with the data model or want to identify
trends and work backwards. Comes down to user goals.

Nathanael Boehm

Freelance web user interaction designer

UX · IxD · UI design · Prototyping · HTML · CSS · JS · Usability ·
Accessibility · Social media

Imagine Innovation · UXnet Canberra · OpenAustralia · BarCampCanberra

www.purecaffeine.com <http://www.purecaffeine.com/about/>

Canberra, Australia

0409 288 464