In case of a poem, if I place every verse in a paragraph, what do I do with
> each line of text in the verse? Is this one of the very few occasions to use
> breaks? A verse doesn't seem a list to me... or is it? I like your opinion.

This one has been debated a few times and it seems to come down to two
common suggestions; paragraphs + breaks, or pre. I think both are fine,
although I prefer paragraphs and breaks unless the poem has particularly
significant formatting which requires pre.

So, in order of preference...

First line of poem<br />
Middle line of poem<br />
Last line of poem</p>

Semantically fine, since the meaning relies on line breaks and I'm happy to
consider each verse as a paragraph.

Or..

<pre>
        The author put this line over here
  but this one here
                                this one way over here
      ...and the form and layout is part of the poem's message
</pre>

(hopefully that whitespace will survive ;)). Semantically ok as the content
is "preformatted". It's not strong semantics but there's not much else to
work with and it gets the job done.

> In the very few tutorials I have seen about how to markup a form
> semantically, both were using  a list in the form. To me that seems totally
> unneccessary plus too much markup. Does anyone know what can be the reason
> of doing it that way?

Some people feel that each line of the form is the next step in a list of
items to be filled out, and also to make the grouping clear; others are
simply being pragmatic about the need for something to work with for style.
I'm sure there will be other reasons too. It's not required, but I don't
think it's a "bad" technique.

Personally I'm quite comfortable putting each line of a form into a div (for
complex forms you need *something*); but I tend to use fieldset+legend to
ensure the grouping is obvious.

Hope that helps :)

cheers,
Ben

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not