If there's anything I've learned about doing HTM email is that it can't be done
very well on a budget.

That said, I'd recommend Campaign Monitor's or MailChimp's free templates as a
good starting point:
http://www.campaignmonitor.com/templates/

You can then use these in your email client and edit the content in the email
client.

If your client's using MS Outlook, you can set the template up as Outlook
stationery.
I'm not in front of a PC with Outlook installed, but you can look up how to do
this in Outlook's help.

You can do something similar in Apple Mail, but I haven't tried it on anything
else

Since Outlook is not the best HTML editor it's quite likely something will get
broken at some stage or other, so it's not fool-proof, but it produces better
results than Word.

Sooner or later though your client will have to pay out money, either in
preparing template, the email or, in my experience, in fixing up the email once
someone breaks it or Outlook does something weird to your template.

Using Campaign Monitor, or MailChimp may provide better value for them.

Regards,
David