On 04/04/2010 10:38, Chris Price wrote:
Blockquote is one of those tags that was badly misused for styling
purposes. Now it can only be used within a block level element, namely
p. I like to use the q tag because it introduces quote marks in Firefox.

I can't see what value it now has. Being a block quote you would assume
it is a block element but if it requires a container it just seems to be
an unnecessary layer. Wouldn't it be better to simply encase a quote in
a p and give a class 'blockquote'?

blockquote allows you to pull together multiple paragraphs as part of a single quote. just having separate paragraphs with <q>s would just not mark them as being part of the same quote, rather than separate quotes. *if* you've only got a single-paragraph quote, this line gets blurry though. one thing blockquote does have that q doesn't is also the cite attribute (as minimally useful as it is today).

Patrick H. Lauke