I used to use cssplay menus 6+ years ago but they're not the friendliest or
most compliant to work with.

I really like superfish - i've been using that for a few years with no problems
at all. and I find it very easy to customise.
http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/

I haven't really drilled down on it but it degrades nicely - works well in IE
without any weird conditionals - and all my sites are XHTML strict compliant.

- daniel
hellodan...@mac.com