On 7 Aug 2010, at 00:44, tee wrote:

On Aug 5, 2010, at 4:23 PM, David Storey wrote:

Not strictly true. First of all Opera Mini compresses the content and images (which is one of the reasons for the image quality setting - it will compress it less on high setting) to optimise it for low bandwidth devices. Opera (in general) also doesn't load resources that are set to display: none; until they are set to show on the page.

Hi David,

This is interesting but I am not sure I fully understand it. Compression this I understand, but not loading the display none part. Are you saying that Opera Mini able to exclude inline elements in the markup that are declared display none in the style sheet.

Yes that is correct. If a resource is display: none, opera will not load it until you set it as display: block or whatever. Providing I understand your english correctly.

If so, I would like to learn more the technical aspect how Opera Mini does it.

Not much to learn (not that it really matters to you). Basically the browser reads the style sheet and doen't load the resource that are not displayed.

If David L display none his 170kb inline image, Opera Mini will not load that 170kb or whatever reduced size that is after the compression?

Not sure I understand but if it is what I think then no it will not display.

When I did my final assignment for the Mobile Web Best Practices course I mentioned, I needed to make a page (a WordPress blog) stay within 10k file size

I'm a member of that WG but honestly it is complete useless and out of date. It was commissioned when 12kb all together was a big deal. Now it is trivial. On smart phone no one cares as it is often unlimited data. On regular devices it matters cause you often pay per kb, but devices like OM have compression and 12 kb is too small for a realistic page. The limit is set brcause many on the WG are browser vendors or such from WAP browsers who have poor quality products (only IMHO) , that can't cope with real web sites (unlike Opera Mini or webkit browsers_

, it was more than a challenge having to watch over every byte in a dynamic page. I first used the media queries, "display:none" side column items (e.g., tags, archives, recent comment and inline image etc...) that I wanted to exclude in mobile version. Visually I get the result I wanted, but as far as markup and file sizes are concerned, they were still there in the source code.

But not loaded unless the browser is very low quality.

I tested the page over MobileOK Checker, the validator picked them up too, and that is how I concluded without some sort of content negotiation

Don't trust automated systems. They will lead you up blind ally without a paddle.

(along with other more aggressive methods), media queries is just a very nice idea for mobile version of site without much practical use,

Bull terds.
unless, we don't care at all optimization.

unfounded and incorrect.

tee

David Storey

Chief Web Opener / Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly
W3C WG:  Mobile Web Best Practices / SVG Interest Group

Opera Software ASA, Oslo, Norway
Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32 / E-Mail/XMPP: dsto...@opera.com / Twitter: dstorey