Asking why not just use the cache is a valid question.

In this case, using HTML5 storage to house files doesn't seem to be tapping
into all HTML5 storage can do--but it's not violating what storage can do
either (so far as I know).

HTML5 storage is like cookies: "Simply put, it’s a way for web pages to store
named key/value pairs locally, within the client web browser. Like cookies,
this data persists even after you navigate away from the web site, close your
browser tab, exit your browser, or what have you. Unlike cookies, this data is
never transmitted to the remote web server (unless you go out of your way to
send it manually)." That's from:
http://diveintohtml5.org/storage.html#localstorage

So, HTML5 storage is more for data storage--storing key/value pairs (like
massive cookies)--than just a repository of files. This is how I understand it.
Others may know more.

I'd think a iPhone/iPad native app would want to look beyond HTML5 storage and
into File Management. But if this is a web app, then HTML5 storage might be the
only option. But I'm far from being an expert.

-jody