On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM, cat soul <cats...@thinkplan.org> wrote:
>Flash offers a one-stop shopping
> tool, and as has been said, most/many people have the flash plug-in, so
> playback is more or less assured across the intertoobs.

Except when dealing with the Mobile market where Flash isn't universal
and if you care at all if your content plays on the iProducts (Pad,
Pod, Phone which does have a decent marketshare in mobile devices)
then you'll be looking at alternatives in addition to Flash anyway.

> So my question is: can CSS and/or Javascript plus *some* codec of
> movie/sound content replace Flash?

Yes.

If you encode in Ogg and H.264 and include a Flash player fallback for
IE < 9 then your video would be available in all the popular browsers
and available on all mobile devices that can play video from websites.
 There's already many templates out there that includes all this
(minus the video encodings obviously).