Just some thoughts

1.      :before is not supported by IE7

2.      if :before is supported by IE7.js, Dean Edwards may not anticipated the
use of multiple selectors in such manner, thus thus the script ignores it.

3.      (Though very unlikely) If you have a set of  group selectors and this
one is included, it may trigger a grouping selector bug in one of the  IE due
to unsupported selector.

Maybe this one will work better than IE7.js?
http://selectivizr.com/

Question, has the latest IE7.js improve? The first version worked pretty well
in IE6 and the upgraded version (from last year or two years ago) was horrible,
it made IE6 unusable as each (very simple page) took some 30 to 60 seconds
delay in page load.

tee