This is a 'too early' post as HTML5 <nav> nor <menu> aren't really supported
yet in any major browsers.

So, we are speculating about how browsers might interpret these elements.

You can read the HTML5 spec and see what is says about those tags, but at
the end of the day browser implementation is going to dictate what is right
or wrong.

For now I would strongly suggest not putting either in your code, as you are
simply adding bloat which serves no purpose whatsoever (until browsers start
implementing these tags).

Focus on the code which is going to deliver some value to your UI.

Thanks,

Jason

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM, David Laakso
<da...@chelseacreekstudio.com>wrote:

> On 1/9/11 7:44 AM, designer wrote:
>
>> Hi L&G,
>>
>> I am making a site (html5) which has a <nav> section at the top of each
>> page. Some pages will also have a 'menu' which will be a short list of links
>> to other pages in the site, and these will appear lower down in the content
>> of the page.
>>
>> Instinct tells me that it is sensible to make this subset as follows:
>>
>> <menu>
>> <dl>
>> <dd>blah</dd>
>> <dd>blah</dd>
>> <dd>blah</dd>
>> </dl>
>> </menu>   (where blah is a link to a page)
>>
>> But lots of folk seem to say that <menu> is only to be used for lists of
>> commands. It's not clear to me, anyway!  Is the above 'wrong'?
>>
>> All advice gratefully recd.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I do not think the above is necessarily "wrong."
> Another approach might be:
>
> Top menu
> <nav>
> <ul>