Hey Caleb,

This is probably one of those "case by case" decisions. For some small sites,
simple media queries may be fine. However, if you have a large site, or high
levels of mobile traffic, you may want to consider more robust alternatives -
such as device detection etc.

This article is a little heavy handed - but worth reading:

CSS Media Query for Mobile is Fool’s Gold
http://www.cloudfour.com/css-media-query-for-mobile-is-fools-gold/

Good luck
Russ