On 12/29/2011 01:02 PM, coder wrote:
> I had an awful job getting her to understand what [a browser was],
> but eventually she explained : "I use my e". This was subsequently
> clarified by the explanation that she meant the small blue thing at
> the bottom of the screen. Let me add that this lady sits in front of
> her PC, at work, using the internet 5 days a week, all day, and has
> done for 10 years that I know of.

That is the failure of either her employer for failing to train her
properly or herself for failing seeking the appropriate training to do
her job. Web developers should not and cannot be expected to cater to
users who "use the [Web] 5 days a week ... for 10 years" and refuse to
learn to use it efficiently.

I would dare to venture that the world has reached a point where knowing
about things like "tabs" or "right-clicking" should be expected. The
World Wide Web has existed for nearly 20 years.